Mildew affects us all at one point or another; however, when it starts to get out of hand it can be both unsightly and dangerous!
What is Mildew?
Mildew is a fungus that typically grows on the surface of a damp area. It is usually characterized as patches of grey or white. Unlike mold, it doesn’t get fuzzy, and it is relatively easy to treat.
Today, The Repaint Specialists are going to walk us through how to remove mildew from various surfaces of your Edmonton home.
How to Remove Mildew from Wood and Vinyl Siding
1. First, you are going to want to cover any plants near where you’ll be removing mildew. The plants are just innocent bystanders, and we don’t need them getting injured!
2. Be sure to wear protective clothing at all times.
3. You can choose a store-bought mildew remover, or make your own solution:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose laundry detergent
- 1 quart fresh household chlorine bleach
- 3 quarts warm water.
If you are looking for an extra boost, you can also try adding a cleaner that has trisodium phosphate.
4. Do a test patch. This will help ensure that your solution is doing the job without wrecking your walls.
5. Finally, saturate the solution onto the affected area and let it sit for about 10 minutes. When time is up, scrub the area with the solution and a soft brush. Start at the bottom and work your way up. When done, rinse from the top down with your hose.
How to Remove Mildew from Brick
If you don’t already, you should get into the habit of spraying your brick with a nozzle spray hose at least once a year for maintenance. If you begin to notice mildew in between, you’ll need to scrub it off with a solution of one cup bleach to a gallon of water. Since it’s brick, you will want to use a stiff brush (not wire or synthetic) to scrub the mildew.
How to Remove Mildew from Stone
This one is easy, folks! All your going to need is a mild soap of your choosing, water, and a scrub brush. Once you’ve wiped or scrubbed the mildew away, give the stone a good rinse with the hose.
How to Prevent Mildew in the Future
The best solution for mildew is prevention! Prevention is fairly easy if you just take a few moments to ensure everything looks right!
- Limit the amount of moisture seeping into your siding by keeping your trees and bushes trimmed.
- Once a month, do a quick walk around your home to inspect for damage inside and out. Mildew can creep up on you quickly, and you want to be there to catch it at the earliest growth. If you find any mildew, attack it immediately before it has the chance to grow.
- Finally, take the time to wash your siding every fall to prevent mildew from growing.
Having a hard time removing the mildew in your home?
Contact Edmonton Alberta’s trusted paint specialists today
Did You Know?The Repaint Specialists have 3 Edmonton locations to help serve you better.
Choose from our Sherwood Park, St. Albert, or Edmonton location.